Welcome to Susan Mort’s Landscape and Garden Design
I have been involved in Landscape Design for over 4 decades. Originating from Britain with a Diploma in Landscape Architecture and Associateship of the British Institute of Landscape Architects I have practiced from top to bottom of New Zealand and been resident in Central Otago for 25 years.
Design projects from farm properties to town courtyards are welcomed, in Southland and Canterbury as well as Central Otago. The variety of landscapes and climate ensures that my design solutions are fresh and innovative.
I travel overseas regularly – it’s called Professional Development – to refresh the soul and to seek new ideas from the world of design.
WHY DO YOU NEED A DESIGN FOR YOUR PROPERTY?
- A new block of land. A new lifestyle. A blank canvas. Trying to imagine the whole picture rather than a series of unrelated parts. Not confident your ideas will work.
- Tackling an existing garden. A freshen up, or a more drastic evaluation of what or what not to keep. Wanting an attractive rearrangement without costing a fortune.
- Getting older or just getting busier. Need to rationalise, simplify and concentrate impact on a manageable space.
- Conscious of water consumption. Should your new garden be planned with drought tolerant species and interesting paving solutions. Forget green swards of lawn.
- Wanting a garden to reflect the character of the surrounding landscape, but know nothing about native plants and locally sourced materials.
- Only in New Zealand for part of the year. Love a garden to reflect the Southern seasons.
- TO MAKE YOUR DREAM A REALITY …
I could well be the person to design for your individual requirements.
- A CONSULTATION might be all you need to spur you into action.
- GARDEN PLANS can be conceptual or detailed to suit your needs and budget. You can take a concept and add your stamp of creativity.
- Do you need INFORMATION on hard materials, the wealth of plants available, or do you want reliable contractors to implement all or part of the works involved.
- My ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS and site supervision can speed up the project, especially if you are a part time resident.
Can you describe what you have in mind for your land?
- A CONTEMPORARY SPACE. A stimulating setting which needs minimal maintenance.
- A CONTEMPLATIVE RETREAT. To nurture the soul. No clutter, no noise The subtlest of colours.
- COUNTRY EDEN. Have you the makings of one? Give a town garden a country ambience. Mix edibles with a framework of fragrant and unfashionable plants.
- SMART SANCTUARY. Elegant, composed, serene.
- PLACES TO ENTERTAIN . By day or by night. Relaxation, cordon bleu cooking, romance. Simple but cosy.
- SAYING THANK YOU. Or marking a special anniversary. You can’t give a garden but a design can be a living gift for a relation or a friend.